Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Veteran's Day


When we first moved here, our landlords were here at the house, he was installing new blinds and I monopolized all her time with questions.  One question I asked was...What are can't miss events?  One thing she mentioned was the President laying a wreath at Arlington.  No matter if you are liberal or conservative, seeing the the President of the United States up close is pretty amazing.  I decided it was definitely a can't miss event.

Thankfully, we had a most beautiful day!  I somehow convinced our friends, the Bazemores, that they needed to come with us.  After not totally following directions, we took the long way around and finally ended up where we were supposed to be, went through security, and found a great spot to watch.  We got there 2 hours early.  Meany mom made the kiddos bring work with them, though they didn't get much done.  After we had been there for just a few minutes, the people in front of us left leaving a hole right at the railing for the girls!  It was amazing!!  I knew the President and his entourage were going to be there, but I was not expecting all the military pom and circumstance.  Why, I have no idea, it's Veteran's Day, but I just never thought about it.  So...silly me, I'm just all in a puddle when I see all that stuff.  The kids made fun of my tears but that's just the way it is now.  Having a husband wear the uniform makes a wife more invested.  I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's how it is.  I love it.  I love this life.  The good and all the bad.  Okay...I'll stop there.  I could go on and on about this subject...I'll spare you, but ask if you really want to know. 

So...back to all the military awesomeness.  From behind the Tomb of the Unknowns appeared 5 groups of uniforms, 5 branches of the military.   Picture precise movements, then multiply that by 10 and that's what I saw.  Breath taking.  The Army Marching Band was there, right in front of us, in fact.  The color guard came in along with the President, First Lady, Secretary of Defense and a lot of other people that I didn't recognize but others might.  The band played the National Anthem.  More tears.  The President then laid a wreath about 40 feet from where we were.  It was just amazing to be there and to experience that.  I only wished that I could have experienced it with my veteran, but he was busy keeping the world safe at the Pentagon.  Okay, I'm a bit biased about what my hubby does for work, can ya tell?

The Changing of the Guard, something I could watch over and over.  I have such great respect for these guys.

The girls' awesome seats!

More changing of the guard

Working hard at school work!  We love homeschooling!!

The colors

The Airmen and Marines

Army Band


colors

Girls. 

Army, Navy and Coast Guard (Right to left)


The First Lady.  The girls were disappointed not to see the Obama girls!!

The President


Wreath laying.  And this Army wife saying...Hooah for Army in those beautiful BLUES!!


 

Wow!  What an experience.  I have to keep pinching myself that we are here.  We are living here.  We are trying to take in all these moments and not take it for granted.  This Veterans' Day, I will never forget it.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to have been able to be there.  


No comments:

Post a Comment