Thursday, June 6, 2013

Last Day of School

I sent my boy off on his last day off school this morning.  I offered to take a picture, but he refused me, and by proxy, you too!  :)

Last Friday was the last day of his elective classes.  He enjoyed them but was glad to get his last paper turned in and breath a sigh of relief.  Last weekend was wonderful, hanging out with friends and reflecting back at how fast the year has gone.  Friday night the girls participated in a 5 on 5 dodge ball tournament while Mark and I headed over to our wonderful landlord's house to drop off the last rent check.  It seems a bit surreal that  it is the last.

Saturday night, MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation, aka The Fun Makers) put on a Farewell Bash at the pool and Tiki Bar that is near the pool.  The girls were excited to swim until past dark and the Samoan Fire dancers were a treat to watch.  Julia and Hope even got to participate in one of the dances.  I could post the video...but I'd hate to bore you with another mom video.  We met a couple of our friends there and it was just wonderful to hang out, eat and enjoy each others company knowing good byes are imminent.

On Sunday at chapel we were given a beautiful handmade plaque that will remind us to keep the USAWC Memorial Chapel in our prayers.  They had a farewell picnic lunch for us after chapel.  As I looked around and saw the heritage of Christian faith represented, it makes me very thankful for the time we were able to spend here and how fortunate we were to be a part of the chapel family.  Sunday afternoon we headed over to the house of the IF from Finland for a celebration of their flag day.  I know I have mentioned it before, but I have LOVED getting to know the international students and finding out about their countries and their culture.  In northern Maine you are American, French Canadian or an American French Canadian.  Okay, that was a grand sweeping generalization, but what I'm trying to get at, is we don't see much in the way of international.  We rounded out the day by ordering pizza and watching The Pink Panther movie with the Hasemans.  I think my belly still hurts from laughing so hard with them.

Monday we got together for some Seminar 10 mandatory fun (yup, you read that right) and had a blast with those guys and their families.  This week at the War College is NSS week.  NSS stands for...um...National, um...yeah, I'm gonna have to look that up.  Hang on...

...National Security Seminar.  Phew!  The purpose of NSS week, that is held this time every year, is to being in people who don't have any exposure to the military and show them what we are all about.  They sit in on lectures and then participate in discussion back in the seminar room.  There are 5 that have joined Seminar 10 for the week.  This get together Monday night was to have them be able to interact in a more casual environment as well as for all of us to be together as a seminar with the families one last time.  It was a great night.  Lots of laughter.  Lots of fun.

Don't laugh too hard, but I was all teary in the commissary when I went yesterday afternoon.  I was thankful that I didn't run into too many people I knew, because if I did, I know I would have started blubbering, and that is just not pretty.  From the beginning I knew that this would only be for a short time, but as I think that I have very limited trips to the commissary left, it left me all misty!  It's not the commissary itself.  It's the experience of being here in Carlisle, the people, the camaraderie with other military wives that I have never experienced, living near post, hearing the bugle (remember #3 on this post?), seeing the respect, etc, etc.  This is something that I most likely will not experience again unlike most Army wives that are leaving here.  I'm going to miss it.  Dag nab it!  I'm all misty again...

Last night we were able to have dinner with a couple who have become very dear to us, the Shines.  They were the retired couple in our small Bible study group and pillars at the chapel.  It was fun to laugh with them, to talk about raising kids and plan a time that we would be able to visit with them again.  When we got back to the house, Nan, our neighbor across the street from Malaysia, told us to come over.  He had the IF from Bangladesh, who is in our seminar, and the IF from Albania.  Again, time spent with these people is priceless!  Zarunah, Nan's wife, is an AMAZING cook, and even though I was stuffed from dinner, I had to sample some Malaysian fare.  Mmm!  If you ever get a chance...try it!!

Mark's parents arrived last night.  They decided to make the big trek down from Maine for graduation.  It's fun to see them play with the kiddos...I know they have missed each other. 

Mark will continue out processing today and maybe even get done to have most of the day off tomorrow.  That would be fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment